Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tasty Insomnia, Tastier Celluloid

Sometimes I forget how much I like being an insomniac. Don't re-read the last sentence, I did say I DO enjoy not sleeping most of the time. Any time I begin to doubt it I am quickly and steadily reminded of all the reasons it actually rules. One of those reasons being I get to see all of the obscure programing on in the unusual hours of the night. And boy, obscure is thee most delicious and satisfying of late night treats.

I'm not sure if those in charge of picking programming on the movie channels I have are telepathically zoning in on my brain waves, or if they are actually playing decently good documentaries and movies that I want to watch. It's almost mind numbing.

Showtime and Encore have had decent programs lately, including: End of the Century (Ramones), Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream (interviews with many of my favorite film makers), This Filthy World (John Waters), a special on the evolution of martial arts films, a special on slasher films, a special on vampire films, Masters of Horror, all of the Warhol films, a selection of David Lynch films, really fucking good kung fu movies (A LOT of Sonny Chiba), a night dedicated to GOOD noir flicks, and many others. HBO still gets a good note in my book for having shows like Deadwood and Flight of the Conchords. I'm eagerly awaiting the next season of those kiwis.

Coming home every night there has been at least one good show on to engage my restless and exceedingly short attention span. Sometimes I have to battle myself to pick what I should watch. Yes, I know I'm that much of a nerd.

Now if you'll excuse me. I have to watch some Romero, or read Phillip K. Dick, or rearrange my geekness, or do whatever it is we insomniacs do.

1 comment:

Tom H. said...

I agree wholeheartedly! I never used to think so, but late LATE night tv rules lately! Speaking of Romero, I just got back from seeing Dawn of the Dead at the Crest. And one of the songs they played over the PA before the movie was The Lizards "Shemp"! I thought, "Damn!! Samantha should be here!!"