Friday, November 28, 2008

Killing With Style

It's Friday night after one of the blackest of days and it's time to update this blog! I hate going for too long without writing. It leaves me with a guilt that I assume a cheating spouse might have. Life is my mistress and it likes to take me away from the things I am most fond of, at least one of them.

Before I complicate myself with metaphors that aren't that good in the first place... I asked the great Cary Rodda (who I'm sure is one of the few readers of this page) for some writing prompts or anything that might inspire a word or two. This MIGHT be one of those prompts.

I have realized in the past five years how terribly in love I am with Italian films and Giallo as a genre. I know most of my friends are film nerds and I'm just preaching to the choir, but really... Italian film makers, buono lavoro!

Having an unusual taste for everything blood soaked and suspense filled from a young age, Giallo was sure to find me eventually. I remember finding Dario Argento's Suspiria at age 14 with no way of knowing the degree of cinematic gold I had my hands on. I, obviously, have been hooked since that day.

Even if you aren't a horror fan, Italian films will not dissapoint you. They are full of striking cinematography and there is absolutely NEVER a shortage of beautiful women to look at. And instead of continuing on about how much of a nerd I am...

Italian Directors you should look up on Netflix: Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Mario Bava, Riccardo Freda, Antonio Margheriti, Umberto Lenzi, Ruggero Deodato, Joe D'Amato, and Gualtiero Jacopetti.

And now I'll watch Le Notti del Terrore for the 57th time.

Arrivederci!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"The Great"? You're making me blush. :) I'll have to check out some Italian cinema. I'm into Chinese films myself, and they also have stunning cinematography.

Samantha Marie said...

You needed a noble introduction Rodda! And are they full of blood?... because that's usually my selling point. Just kidding, I hope I'm not that dense. Suggestions for Chinese films? Or any films you enjoy for that matter?

Tom H. said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Italians know how to make a good horror movie in general, and zombie movies in particular. They have a way of using "low budget" to their unending advantage! Instead of throwing millions of dollars at flawless special effects, they have a knack for making you feel creeped out with almost NO money!
Just my 2 cents. :)

Unknown said...

OK, here are a few foreign film recommendations, with the caveat that I'm not as into zombies and/or blood as you; my tastes tend more toward dramas.

The Story of Qiu Ju
Journey from the Fall
Shower
The Twilight Samurai
Train Man
Vitus (German)
The Children of Heaven (Iranian)

Samantha Marie said...

Thank you for the list Cary! Though I've seen and enjoyed a few of those films already. And as for you Tom H... though we argue about everything... I agree! Italians have never forgotten the number one tool at a horror movie's arsenal; Suspense!

Tom H. said...

We don't argue about everything! We both like... um.... well, there's.... Cleo! haha!